Sunday, February 5, 2012

The Hills Are Alive...With The Sound of Music!

     I'm teaching myself to play the piano.  I feel silly in saying that, but I guess that would be the truth of the matter.  It started out with Payton taking lessons.  And since she is only in first grade...and I have a hard time turning off my "teacher" mode--I started helping her practice.  However, it soon became evident that my love of practicing far surpassed hers...(Hopefully her piano teacher isn't reading this!
     Maybe I should back up and explain my bitter childhood piano memories...When I was growing up, I desperately wanted to take piano lessons, but...my sister, Beth, was already taking them. Apparently, there could only be one piano player in the family, and she had already cashed in that ticket!  The frustrating thing was that my sister was painfully shy...so whenever Dad made her play for company, she was miserable.  I, on the other hand, would have been more the "look at ME...look at ME" kind of gal.  Instead, I had to settle for being her side-kick page turner...not the glorious position I so desired!    
     Now...fast forward twenty-five years and here I sit...diligently at my piano...torturing my own family with painfully slow renditions of...really silly beginner piano book ditties...My six year old yelled at me this morning, "Have mercy on my EARS!"  And I wanted to point out to him that he should just be thankful that piano playing is the childhood dream I have decided to chase, rather than some of my more ambitious musical dreams of the past...like becoming a singing Austrian nun!

No comments:

Post a Comment