Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Through the Eyes of a Child...

     So being the...curious mom that I am, I was probing Carter last night to see if I could get a feel for where he sat...in comparison to the rest of the class.  (Okay, so I know it's stupid, but don't judge me, I'm sure every parent has wondered the same thing from time to time!)  I was asking him if they have started doing Guided Reading yet.  He said they had.  I nonchalantly said, "Oh really, what group are you in?" 
     Carter proudly declared, "The Green Apples!"  (Okay, this was not going to help me out...so much for an actual Guided Reading letter like Payton's groups were last year...)  So I thought I'd try a different approach...
     "Which group do you think has the hardest books?" I asked.
     Carter thought for a moment and then said, "Oh, that would be the Peach Umbrellas!"
     "Really?"  I said lightly, my heart sinking.  "You've seen their books, and they are pretty hard, huh?"
     Carter nodded his head, eyes wide, "Oh yes!  I've seen their books and they are really hard!  There last two were almost completely in Spanish, and THAT would be really hard for me to read!"
     I looked into his open little face, smiled, nodded and said, "You are right Carter, that would be really hard for us to do, wouldn't it?"  Done probing.

No comments:

Post a Comment