Friday, February 10, 2012

Young Girl, Get Out of My Mind...

     Okay, so I totally sing this song to my husband every once in a while and giggle.  Why, you may ask?  Well, because my husband, Neil, is 17 years older than me.  Yes, you heard me right…it is not a typo.  Well, if we are being technical he is 16 years, 5 months, and 14 days older than me…and yes, I just wasted five minutes of my life figuring that out!  I know that this little tidbit is something that fascinates people… (not the wasted math time, but the 17 years in general).  And I guess I understand, after all, we are not famous celebrities where age seems irrelevant, he is not a wealthy gentleman who stands to make me rich someday.  He is simply Neil, a divorced father of three, a farmer, father of my own three children, the love of my life…my soul mate.  I’m not going to lie and say it never, ever bothered me.  It did.  I’m not going to say that if I still crunch the numbers I don’t inwardly freak out from time to time.  I do.  But then I look into his gentle eyes, and I think about this man that I gave my life to, and that’s that.  I can’t think about it anymore because I can’t imagine NOT loving him…I can’t imagine NOT being with him.  He makes me a better person.  He is the model of the best person.  When I’m having a horrible day, he listens…when I need him to, he has my back…and when I stand to lose it and freak out, he reminds me to take the high road…and because of that, I do…I can.  He is my rock.  And because of that, I consider myself to be ridiculously lucky.  And as a special bonus to HIM…Dr. Oz has assured us that a man, married to a women, not 10, not 20, not 13 years, but you guessed it…17 years younger is destined to live 10 years longer than the average man.1  That’s right…I give him an extra decade of life—can YOU say the same about YOUR marriage?

No comments:

Post a Comment